Online Safety highlights the need to educate children and young people about the benefits, risks and responsibilities of using the Internet and Information Technology including electronic communication via mobile devices, games consoles, tablet PCs and wireless technology.
• Online Safety includes safeguarding children and young people in the digital world
• Online Safety highlights the importance of learning how to use and understand new technologies in a positive way.
• Online Safety is more about educating children and young people about the risks as well as benefits of using the Internet so we can feel confident online.
• Online Safety is more about supporting children and young people to learn how to be responsible and develop
safe online conduct at all times both in and out of school.
Children and young people are increasingly using social media from a very early age, a few safety tips:
· Parents/Guardians should know what their children are accessing and doing online
· Children and young people should know what they must do if they are upset by something they see or hear online
· Children and young people should know that when they use social media they must always be polite and respectful
· Social Media sites such as Facebook and Instagram have minimum age recommendations
· Games consoles do have parental controls