Pencalenick School is a countywide provision and has a vibrant, lively and popular residential facility.
We can accommodate up to 25 pupils each night. The provision is open from Monday to Friday (4 nights) for term times only and is primarily for pupils who live too far away to travel to school on a daily basis, but we can also offer varying packages of support according to need and dependent on availability which support pupils in enabling them to access their education more effectively. For more details please see our Statement of Purpose below.
There is no distinction between pupils who stay all week and those who stay for shorter periods of time in terms of enjoyment, engagement and achievement. There is a measurable difference in academic achievement between those pupils who board and those who don’t irrespective of the duration of the boarding placement. Our aim is to ensure that all pupils who stay are afforded the same access to developing self-help skills and becoming independent young people enabled to make choices and decisions.
We do this in an environment which is safe, fun, celebrates diversity and supports pupils in facing their own challenges.
Many parents and carers feel that their children are more independent as a result of boarding and that in many cases, greater self awareness has a positive impact on their child's behaviour and maturity.
Pupils state that:
- They like staying at school because they don’t have any friends where they live, but they do here.
- The staff are cool and do fun things.
- They have a lovely bedroom that’s nice and cosy with a comfy bed.
The Staff group of 7 are committed, enthusiastic and caring. They are trained for the role that they perform and are confident and skilful in managing behaviour. Parents are very complimentary and say that they:
- ‘Can relax when my child is staying at school because I know they are safe and well cared for’.
- ‘The residential provision of the school has been the best experience ever – the staff are brilliant’.
- ‘Communication is excellent. I’m always kept informed about my child’.
Many parents feel that their children are more independent as a result of boarding and that in many cases their children’s behaviour had improved too. Pupils, staff and parents are overwhelmingly positive about boarding.